Netcraft has determined the name, website, and type of each company offering internet services, and noted which of 50 popular services are provided by these companies. The dataset includes these classifications, together with the numbers of computers found in our Hosting Provider Server Count, segmented by operating system and country. The dataset also contains details of more than 19,000 executive contacts at these companies, including LinkedIn profiles, email addresses, and other social media accounts where available.
- the number of web-facing servers, broken down by operating system and country;
- the number of websites and domains, including trending information;
- the number of sites in the top million busiest websites;
- the number of HTTPS sites;
- the number of active cybercrime incidents, and how quickly the company responds to abuse reports;
- stock data, if the company is publicly traded;
- news feeds and social media posts.
Company headquarters and contact details
Services offered, virtualisation technologies, and more
Web-facing servers, domains, active sites, and more
Datacentre locations and languages spoken
Social media profiles
Relevant news items and social media posts
Company name, website, business area
The name of the company, the company’s primary website, the company’s main business area.
The company’s parent, and list of the company’s subsidiaries, with links to those also in the dataset.
URLs to LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and GitHub pages for the company.
Stock Market Information
Stock symbol, current market capitalisation, and links to the Stockopedia and Google Finance URLs for publicly traded companies.
Links to Google, Google News, Wikipedia, Datacenter Knowledge, and Crunchbase searches for the company, and to the Netcraft Site Report for the company’s primary website.
Countries in which the company has datacentres, along with the number of web-facing servers the company operates in each country.
The set of languages in which the company provides services.
Address and Company Contact Details
The address of the company headquarters, along with the main telephone number, fax number, and email address of the company, and a link to the company’s contact page.
Whether the company offers online provisioning of services, which payment methods are supported, and whether identity documentation is required.
A list of legal or industry regulations followed by the company, including PCI DSS.
Control Panel Software
A list of the solutions available, e.g. CPanel and Plesk.
Solutions for Industry Sectors
List of verticals targeted: Law, Finance, Healthcare, etc.
A list of the company’s publicly advertised partners, for example, Cisco, Microsoft, Dell.
A list of software for which the company offers optimized hosting; WordPress, Magento, vBulletin, Drupal, Joomla, etc.
The number of active phishing attacks blocked by the Netcraft Anti-Phishing Extension, and the median response time to abuse requests.
Web Server Survey
The number of Hostnames, Active sites, Domains, Top 1M sites, Web-facing Servers, and Encrypted Sites over time.
Web-Facing Servers by Operating System
The share of computers by operating system.
The executive contacts published by the company.
URLs to the following pages on the company website
- Service Status
- Affiliate/Referral Scheme
- Live Chat
This section notes which of the following services are offered by the company.
- Domain Registration (including API and Protected WHOIS)
- SSL Certificates
- Paid Shared Hosting
- Free Shared Hosting
- Dedicated Hosting
- Reseller Hosting
- Virtual Private Servers
- Cloud/Grid Services (including hosting, databases, files, block storage, desktop, Hadoop)
- Managed Services – such as packages, software configuration, firewall maintenance, monitoring
- Multiple Datacentres
- SSD Storage
- SSH Access
- Ecommerce & Shopping Carts
- Streaming / Podcast Hosting
- Application Hosting / Software as a Service
- Bespoke Web Development
- Website Builder
- Email Hosting
- Professional Services – such as IT services, or database administration
- IPv6 Addressing
- Leased Lines
- Traditional Telco Services – such as telephone calling plans, line rental, fax, and mobile contracts
- VoIP – Voice Over IP
- Backup service
- Disaster Recovery
- Load Balancing
- Content Delivery Network
- Virtual Private Networking
How can this data be used?
Due to its comprehensive and detailed nature, Netcraft’s Hosting Provider Index has the potential to be used in a number of ways. It could provide the means for searching for a particular hosting company, based upon the services it offers, the headquarters country, the countries in which it has datacentres, or any other combination of fields from the dataset. For each company, the dataset provides the contact details of the company, in addition to contact details of executives at the company.
This dataset could provide answers to questions such as:
- How many companies provide a particular form of web hosting?
- How many more companies offer paid web hosting as compared to free web hosting?
- Which Dedicated Server providers also offer Virtual Private Server hosting?
- Who are the biggest hosting providers in the world, and where are they based?
- Who are the executives for a company, and what are their contact details?
- How many hosting providers offer services in a specific language?
- How many hosting providers offer their services in more than one language?
- Which internet service companies have profiles on LinkedIn?
The data research was compiled between 2015 and 2018. Companies were processed by native speakers of the language in which the companies offer services.
Additional sources of data are updated on a monthly basis.
The Hosting Provider Index is available on a company licence basis. We are able to provide subsets of the data, for example, all hosting companies that offer cloud services in North America, or VPS providers in Europe, or any other segmentation by geography or technology.
On demand, the classification could be extended to include smaller hosting providers, or collect additional details.