Netcraft’s Web Application Testing service is an internet security audit, performed by experienced security professionals. A key feature of the service, and one which cannot be covered by relying solely on automated testing, is application testing.
The service is designed to rigorously push the defences of internet networks and applications. It is suitable for commissioning, third party assurance, post-attack analysis, audit and regulatory purposes where independence and quality of service are important requirements.
A final written report provides an analysis of any security or service problems discovered together with proposed solutions, links to detailed advisories and recommendations for improving the security of the service under test.
The Web Application Testing service can be used to ensure compliance with PCI DSS v2.0 requirement 11.3, (penetration testing) as it includes both network and application layer testing. Netcraft is a PCI Approved Scanning Vendor (ASV).
Areas Covered by Web Application Testing
- Configuration errors
- Application loopholes in server code or scripts
- Advice on data that could have been exposed due to past errors
- Testing for known vulnerabilities
- Reducing the risk and enticement to attack
- Advice on fixes and future security plans
Customers who have had tests performed by Netcraft include: Aegon, Capita, Lloyd’s of London, Virgin Money and Group 4 Securicor.
Typical Issues Discovered in an Application Test
- Cross-site scripting
- SQL injection
- Server misconfigurations
- Form/hidden field manipulation
- Command injection
- Cookie poisoning
- Well-known platform vulnerabilities
- Insecure use of cryptography
- Back doors and debug options
- Errors triggering sensitive information leak
- Broken ACLs/Weak passwords
- Weak session management
- Buffer overflows
- Forceful browsing
- CGI-BIN manipulation
- Risk reduction to zero day exploits
Cost & Duration
The duration of a test depends on the size and complexity of a site, but can start from 6 days (approx four days testing, two writing up).
To discuss your particular requirements, please contact us by email or phone +44(0)1225 587500.